The Top-5 Active Directory Security Guides
Active Directory Security Best Practices Guides
The following 5 helpful Active Directory Security Guides, including 1 checklist from Paramount Defenses, and 4 Security Guides from Microsoft provide valuable security guidance –
Note – To download these guides from Microsoft's website, click the corresponding image or links above.
The following is a brief overview of these guides –
Active Directory Security Checklist – This checklist, published by Paramount Defenses, provides organization a comprehensive yet simple and easy-to-follow checklist that organizations can use as a guide in their efforts to provide adequate coverage for all vital areas of Active Directory security.
Best Practices for Securing Active Directory – This document, published by Microsoft IT, provides a practitioner's perspective and contains a set of practical techniques to help IT executives protect an enterprise Active Directory environment.
Best Practice Guide for Securing Active Directory Installations – This guide, published by Microsoft, contains recommendations for protecting domain controllers against known threats, establishing administrative policies and practices to maintain network security, and protecting Domain Name System (DNS) servers from unauthorized updates. It also provides guidelines for maintaining Active Directory security boundaries and securing Active Directory administration.
Best Practices for Delegating Active Directory Administration – This document, also published by Microsoft, discusses in depth the issues involved in delegating administrative responsibilities, and can help you plan for, implement, and maintain an administrative delegation model that allows secure and efficient management of Active Directory.
Best Practices for Delegating Active Directory Administration - Appendices – This document, also published by Microsoft, accompanies the Best Practices for Delegating Active Directory Administration and provides detailed technical information via the following Appendices –
- Appendix A: Active Directory Administrative Tasks
- Appendix B: Default Active Directory Security Groups
- Appendix C: Active Directory Standard Permissions
- Appendix D: Active Directory Extended Rights
- Appendix E: Active Directory Property Sets
- Appendix F: Logon Rights and Privileges
- Appendix G: Active Directory Delegation Tools
- Appendix H: Active Directory Display Name Mappings
- Appendix I: Default Container Hierarchy for Active Directory Partitions
- Appendix J: Default Owners of Active Directory Objects
- Appendix K: Default Settings in the Master Security Descriptor of the AdminSDHolder Object
- Appendix L: Implementing Service Management Delegation Roles
- Appendix M: Service Management Delegation Role Definitions
- Appendix N: Default Active Directory Service Administrator Groups
- Appendix O: Active Directory Delegation Wizard File